- Blackeetâ€™s Facilities Committee and School Improvement Committee advise on and implement sustainability policies and programs.
- The Facilities Committee’s long-range plans include reducing the campus carbon footprint, constructing energy-efficient buildings, and engaging the college community with sustainability issues.
- The college’s first green building is currently under construction, with the goal of LEED-Gold certification.Â
- Energy-reduction technologies that have been installed include LED and other efficient lighting, electric metering, and timers for temperature control.
- To reduce water use, water metering and low-flow faucets are used.
Climate Change & Energy
- System tune-ups are performed regularly.
- The college generates electricity from solar panels and wind turbines on campus.
- Students can participate in sustainability volunteer projects.
- The college curriculum promotes awareness of the traditional sustainable lifestyles of the Blackfeet people.
- FORCE, a student group, focuses on recycling efforts on campus.
- Blackfeet offers an environmental studies academic major, which seven students have declared.
- The installation of photovoltaic lighting on campus walkways was accompanied by programs to raise awareness about renewable energy and sustainability.
- Students are encouraged to use the Blackfeet Tribal Transit public transportation system.
- In the past, the college has offered rides to outlying communities up to 40 miles away.