- The university signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment as part of the Building Green at Minority Serving Institutions Initiative in September 2010.
- Elizabeth City State University’s sustainability policy integrates environmental principles into master planning, design, operations, climate mitigation, transportation, recycling, and purchasing.
- The procurement department is working on a formal green purchasing policy.
- The university has partnered with the Environmental Defense Fund to explore ways to reduce the campus’s carbon footprint.
- ECSU employs an energy and sustainability coordinator.
- The Center for Green Research and Evaluation focuses on connecting the university, local businesses, and non-profits to create green jobs in northeastern North Carolina.
- The university is working on a formal green building policy.
- The Pharmacy Complex will meet state efficiency regulations to conserve energy and use 20 percent less water than the standard building code mandates.
- A new education building under construction and a new residential facility in the planning phase will both adhere to state efficiency standards.
- To conserve energy, the school has installed lighting sensors in all classrooms and offices, energy-efficient lighting, economizers, energy management systems, and variable speed drives.
- Low-flow faucets and showerheads are installed in all new and renovated buildings; so far, they exist in 10 residence halls.
Climate Change & Energy
- The university is exploring the option of generating renewable energy on campus using photovoltaics through a partnership with Carolina Solar Farms.
- Temperatures have been set back to conserve energy in a few buildings.
- Energy dashboards have been installed in half of the campus buildings to allow occupants to see their energy use.
- The university recycles all traditional materials: aluminum, cardboard, glass, paper, and all plastics.
- ECSU also recycles batteries and printer cartridges generated by the school.
- Presentations on campus teach students about sustainability.
- There are campaigns to encourage campus community members to recycle.
- The student government association works on green initiatives.
- The school holds community meetings to engage students with environmental issues.
- Discussions on sustainability are included in various classes, including a course on conservation psychology.
- The student organization Green for All has two sustainability ambassadors.
- Free shuttles bring students around campus and to some locations off campus.
- The university’s fleet includes electric vehicles.
- There is a bike-sharing program on campus.