- The college’s strategic plan features an emphasis on sustainability.
- Keweenaw Bay is planning one building that will meet LEED standards.
- To improve energy efficiency, lighting sensors and timers for temperature control have been installed in existing buildings.
Climate Change & Energy
- The campus is exploring the option of generating renewable solar or wind energy on campus.
- Paper, some plastics, and aluminum cans are recycled.
- The college also recycles its used printer cartridges.
- The college hosts Earth Day activities, including the Tribal natural resource department’s science fair. For this activity, college students went to local elementary schools and shared information about environmental topics; this year, they discussed native plants and their pollinators.
- The student government and the American Indian Science and Engineering Society have placed recycling receptacles around campus.
- Students will work in the new campus greenhouse to grow vegetables and flowers.
- Several courses at the college discuss sustainability and alternative energy sources.
- Eight students have declared an academic major in environmental science.