- The college’s Physical Plant Committee implements sustainability policies and programs.
- To improve existing buildingsâ€™ energy use, electric metering and energy management systems have been installed, and water heater thermostats are being adjusted.
- Leak detection and reduction helps the college reduce water use.
Climate Change & Energy
- Buildings feature corked windows and weather-stripping around doors to provide insulation.
- Water heater thermostats have been adjusted to save energy.
- The college undertakes audits of individualsâ€™ energy use.
- Rust Collegeâ€™s recycling program accepts aluminum.
- Electronic correspondence is encouraged for reports, memos, and mass mailings to reduce paper use.
- Dining facilities donate excess food to a food bank.
- The Rust College Strategies for Ecology Education, Diversity, and Sustainability (SEEDS) chapter promotes recycling campaigns.
- The college offers an Environmental Biology course.
- In 2007, Rust College received a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency to raise awareness about the environment and to research groundwater and surface contamination with the goal to encourage stewardship. The grant funded new environmental curriculum for Rust students; workshops and presentations for the community; and summer programs for Mississippi teachers.
- Rust encourages its staff members to walk whenever possible to reduce local travel around campus.