- UTTC signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment in September 2010.
- The newly created Green Committee will advise on policies and procedures, including the creation of a formal green purchasing policy.
- A greenhouse gas inventory is currently in progress and will be completed by September 2011.Â
- The Math, Science and Technology facility, under construction, is the school’s first green building. It will feature geothermal heating and air-conditioning and highly insulated walls and windows.
- The cafeteria is being renovated to have better insulation and a new HVAC system.
- To improve energy efficiency, campus buildings feature energy management systems that run partly on geothermal energy as well as efficient lighting and electric metering.
Climate Change & Energy
- The college is beginning a campaign to encourage people to reduce their energy use.
- Some plastics are recycled on campus.
- Food is grown in an on-campus garden called the Dragonfly.
- The dining halls serve organic food.
- Trays are removed from dining halls on weekends to cut back on water consumption.
- Environmentally friendly take-out containers are used.
- A student worker helps in the campus garden. The college has also hired a part-time student sustainability intern in the past.
- Ten students have declared an environmental science minor.
- The annual campus powwow includes Green Education presentations.
- The school offers a free shuttle for all students and staff on the UTTC campus.